Prompting Bar Controls

Team,

First off, love the app, thank you. I am working on a teleprompter for my band and have been through many hardware iterations, wanted something very easy and inexpensive (in case someone spills a beer into it walking up to the stage). I think I have the final config for $35O wish a custom stage enclosure.

As stated Many iterations, but I am down to a Ubuntu NUC, a 15.6 inch touch screen monitor and need to select 3-switch usb or bluetooth footpedal (still did not test foor pedals).

I am in technology for 25+ years but not a developer, Can someone put more controls when in prompting mode. The blue button and adjacent velocity buttons are way too close any and really way too close for the cheap touchscreen.

It would be great to have the following controls (there is plenty of real estate with space in between) while in prompting mode.

Exit … Last Marker … Slower … Start/Stop (Blue Button) … Faster … Next Marker

For a touch screen that would be huge…

-Mash

Hi @mmash,

I am down to a Ubuntu NUC, a 15.6 inch touch screen monitor

NUCs are excellent little machines to run our software.

3-switch usb or bluetooth footpedal (still did not test foor pedals)

While I can’t recommend any brands, anything that can map to keyboard inputs should work. Our Telegram chat community is the most active one. If you ask there, other’s might be able to make pedal suggestions.

The blue button and adjacent velocity buttons are way too close any and really way too close for the cheap touchscreen.

Unfortunately, that part of QPrompt’s user interface is managed by the Kirigami Framework, and I can’t show more than those 3 buttons or change their spacing without modifying the framework. I plan on replacing those buttons with equivalent ones of my own that would only show in the desktop versions of QPrompt (mobile versions would continue to use the existing buttons).

I wasn’t planning to work on this until Q4, because I’m waiting to see which direction the Kirigami framework goes, after they transition from Qt framework version 5 to 6, Qt is the another underlying framework, from which both QPrompt and Kirigami are built upon.

It would be great to have the following controls (there is plenty of real estate with space in between) while in prompting mode.

Exit … Last Marker … Slower … Start/Stop (Blue Button) … Faster … Next Marker

Separating the exit button is a great idea!

Spacing may be an issue, but buttons for Last Marker and Next Marker are already shown in the toolbar at the button. Nevertheless, I would advice against using those if the touchscreen is inaccurate. Instead you should rely on Keyboard shortcuts, map those to F-keys, and hook them to a pedal, wheel, or some other device that can map those keyboard inputs.

Filing the issue

Having said all this, I will make an effort to improve and extend the buttons (because I was already planning to replace them), but I can’t promise this will happen on a timeline that is reasonable for you, for I’m waiting on the Kirigami framework, there’s a backlog of requests, and I do most of QPrompt on the weekends.

I will ask that you please file this feature request over at feedback.qprompt.app so that it tracked by our issue tracker, and I don’t forget to address this. If you can, please file as separate feature requests:

1. Separate exit button from Stop/Pause button
  2. Move Last Marker and Next Marker buttons from the bottom toolbar to the bottom of the prompter.
  3. Increase spacing between buttons
  4. Allow for adjusting button sizes

You’ll be able to track the development of each feature individually. Thanks for the help!

Best of luck in your musical endeavor!
-Javier

Javier,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a thorough response here. As requested, I will create an ER for these, have a great day and thinks again.

-Mash

Greatly appreciate it! You don’t need to provide much detail, for I already know what these issues are about.

Thank you!