Importing text data from a html webpage

Hi, i’m looking to use qprompt on my raspberry pi for live outside broadcasts.

I’d like to be able to edit the show scripts from home via a webpage, then the Pi can boot up and automatically load qpromt in full screen mode and pull text data from the webpage straight away.

I’d also like to be able to change text on the webpage then refresh the program so that the text in qprompt has updated.

In terms of a solution, id need qpromt to be able to direct its input from a web address and boot into full screen on boot. Also, an input to refresh so that qpromt can pull data from the webpage again if it has changed.

Let me know what you think :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @taz2000,

Sorry for closing your issue over at GitHub like that. It feels wrong, but I need to keep things organized, otherwise it becomes unsustainable to use.

The feature I referenced over at GitHub will allow you to open remote files.

The current early access builds also remember the file that you last opened, as long as it’s not a remote file. The reason remote files are not remembered is people could not realize a remote file is being loaded at startup and the file might fail to load if they are not connected to the internet. If the remote was set to update automatically, changes they might’ve done locally would be overwritten by the updates, causing a frustration scenario.

As for booting into full screen mode. That feature could be added. Please file a feature request for it. Unfortunately, it may take some time before you can use this because our packaging system is currently broken.

Regarding loading QPrompt at boot time, that’s something you’d have to configure yourself on Raspberry Pi OS.

Hi Cuperino,

Don’t worry, I completely understand. I am a noob when it comes to linux so im learning as I go along! I’m struggling to install the early assess build (v 1.2) onto my pi (I keep getting CMake issues), however once I have installed it, I will see if I can find a solution in the source code to implement the full screen mode myself. Where would be the best place to start?

Many thanks

@taz2000 What CMake issues are you getting?

Where would be the best place to start?

We use the QML Setting API to automatically store settings such as that when closing. You would need to preserve the value from the visibility variable from the main.qml QML files. That code is short, but a bit of a mess to be honest, as it deals with various edge cases.

There are also 3 versions of main.qml. One for Android, one for Windows, and the last one for all other operating systems. This change should be made in both the Windows and all OS versions of main.qml.

If it’s too much trouble to compile, you can try using our new setup.sh script from the qt6-wasm-script branch. I yet tested it yet on the RPi, so it might not work, but it takes care of auto installing dependencies from their git repositories, so it can be made work on nearly any system.

Alternatively, there are also the pre-built binaries from Patreon, which have the feature to load files from the web. You could probably force the app to start in fullscreen via a desktop environment or window manager that lets you set rules for specific windows and apps, such as KDE Plasma.